The international certification for sustainable electricity
What is EKOenergy?
EKOenergy is an international network of environmental organisations from more than 26 countries, whose aim is to promote the use of sustainable electricity. EKOenergy is also the first pan-European ecolabel for electricity, attesting not only the renewable origin of energy, but also the eco-compatibility of the production plants with the environment.
ForGreen is the only Italian reseller whose energy offer is exclusively renewable and branded EKOenergy.
Moreover, for each MWh of EKOenergy sold, ForGreen gives a contribution to support the activities of the Fund for the Environment and the Fund for the Climate, managed by EKOenergy.
How does EKOenergy works?
Why did ForGreen choose EKOenergy?
- For each MWh of EKOenergy sold, ForGreen gives a contribution to EKOenergy to support the financing of the Climate Fund and the Environment Fund promoting projects of climate’s safeguard. All the projects’ achievements are published on the EKOenergy website.
- Since July 1st 2013 the use of EKOenergy is explicitly recommended by the LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) certification standard.
- EKOenergy has been mentioned in the Greenhouse Gas Protocol’s Guide, the international standard for the calculation of Greenhouse Gas Emission born from the collaboration between the World Resources Institute and the World Business Council for Sustainable Development.
- • EKOenergy is a widely recognised brand in the European and American markets and represents an added value for CSR projects and companies wanting to improve their environmental impact.
The Climate Fund and the Environment Fund
The Climate Fund and the Environment Fund have been created by EKOenergy to support the development of sustainable energy programs around the world.
- For each MWh of EKOenergy sold, a minimum of 10 eurocents goes to EKOenergy’s Climate Fund. That money is used to finance climate projects that would not have happened without the contributions. EKOenergy does not set up its own projects, but finances projects managed by experienced organisations.
- For each MWh sold as EKOenergy hydropower, a contribution of at least 10 eurocents is paid into the EKOenergy Environmental Fund. The money from the EKOenergy Environmental Fund is used to finance the implementation of river restoration projects.